let’s talk about professor!Dean and how his face lights up when he teaches something he loves, how he moves his arms around when trying to emphasize his point, and even if you hate the subject, you can’t help but listen to him talking because he’s so goddamn passionate about it, let’s talk about professor!Dean and how he groans louder than his students when he has to teach something boring, and how he pranks the hungover students in his class because while he is all for a little weekend fun, it doesn’t mean you should show up at class smelling like a brewery, let’s talk about professor!Dean and how his students absolutely adore him, even though he is quite a harsh grader, because really, he’s the best teacher you could ever hope to have, he’s patient and he works hard, staying late to help out students who need it, let’s talk about professor!Dean and his hard on for his car, and how he looks personally affronted when you don’t know your classic rock, let’s talk about professor!Dean and how he’s completely in love with Dr. Castiel Novak across the hall, and how he blushes a little everytime the other professor talks to him, lets talk about professor!Dean and how his students ship him hard with Dr.Novak, and make it their not-so-secret project to do some matchmaking because Professor Winchester is really not as smooth as he thinks and it’s kind of hard to sit through all the pining and it’s time they did something about it
let’s just talk about professor!Dean~
uh, yes, we should talk about this because he’s also that prof who’s like, “it’s nice outside today, goddamn, it’s nice. why are we all sitting in this dark little room?” and he adjourns class to go sit outside and then he realizes it’s hot as dicks so let’s all go sit in the union and pass around a couple plates of cheese fries while we continue our animated discussion.
professor dean is the type of prof who notices when some students aren’t willing to speak up and contribute to the lengthy discussions so he adds variety to every syllabus and covers the whole range of the subject because, eventually, that one student who sits at the back will pipe up with some mind-blowing connective observation and, for that hour at least, will be totally fucking engaged. he likes those little victories.
first order of business in every thursday class is “where are my people who watched Top Chef last night because i’m livid about that guy who turned off the other cheftestant’s oven but also totally turned on by their brisket.” reality tv discussions lead into the topic of the day AND YOU DON’T EVEN KNOW IT’S HAPPENING.
homework is REAL. it’s a fuckload of reading or practicing formulas or whatever, but tests are applied knowledge, not a list of fucking questions.
essay topics can be negotiated because, no, he doesn’t just want to hear what an essay should tell but rather watch someone figure a concept out as they’re writing it. he doesn’t need 30 of the same exact essay from every student. he doesn’t understand the point. everybody’s different and gets something different from the class.
online content is super organized!! it’s so easy to follow and it’s simple to find out your grade and standing in the class and there’s a discussion forum and a place to share notes.
it turns out the prof’s brother constructed the whole thing. he cops to it immediately, he has no idea how the site works but he will stay up half the night answering e-mails for direct questions.
interdisciplinary lesson time comes around and the students’ complete and utter lack of surprise at sitting in an auditorium with dr. novak’s class is staggering.
they actually side-eye each other as they’re sitting down, like, are these two fucking cartoons for real? are they fucking yet? is this going to be an hour-long lesson in cow eyes?
but, of course, professors winchester and novak play off of each other so well that the lesson is fun, it applies to their fields, and they wish they could have sessions like that every day. they learn so much. they have a ball.
since professor dean has no idea how his online forum works there is a “winvak 5ever” post that the students use to plot their matchmaking. so far there are plans for an end-of-semester party held in the student lounge by their offices that might be tame enough for them to attend, but a few of the doctor’s students have passed along the idea that anonymous flowers might work better… the plotting continues…
I was gonna write this fic then I read ^this and now I think I better leave this to the more experienced people
Incorrect! You should always write what you want to write. Things we still have not learned about this ‘verse — THINGS YOU MUST TELL US:
- Exactly how Cas acts in his own classroom. Dr. Novak’s style of teaching and if his mind wanders or if it just looks like his mind wanders but he’s really laser-focused. What is he a doctor of?
- Is Cas a civilian in this ‘verse? Does his soldier-like strategy and plotting carry over? Is Cas neat and tidy — did he finish his education in the military, maybe? Or is he disheveled and scatterbrained? Does that mean he wasn’t in the military or he was just in a unit in which he Saw Some Shit?
- Dr. Novak’s students’ schemes and how they come to be aware of the other class’ similar meddling.
- Which subjects the professors teach!
- Why their paths would cross or what their interdisciplinary learning plans would teach their students that is enlightening to both their fields and practical in the real world.
- Are the students double majoring or just trying for a diverse set of classes and taking both Dr. Novak and Professor Winchesters’ courses? Or do students not usually cross over at all?
- WHAT THEIR OFFICES LOOK LIKE!!!!! THE BOOKS! THE PLAQUES! THE DECOR! how their separate interests are displayed for the world to see! Family pictures (does Cas come from a big family? does he still talk to them? — does Dean have like a million pictures of Sam because he’s so proud of him? [hint: yes] does Dean have extended family in this ‘verse? is he divorced from Lisa? does he have Ellen and Jo and Bobby to fall back on or has he been raising Sam all on his own since John’s been gone?)
- What Dean and Cas were like in their college days!
- Speaking of which, is this acquaintance new? Or have they been oozing sexual tension at one another for years? Or did they know one another from afar and SOMEBODY HAD A PANG that they thought would fade with time but now he works across the goddamn hall from me!
- Is it ultimately the students or a conference or a meeting or a post-work drink that gets them together?
- Are they both content with being professors or is there professional strain in their lives that they will have to answer to soon?
- What do their personal lives look like right now and are either of them a sort of spanner in the works?
- Does one of them consider love an academic distraction?
- Why do they fit together in this ‘verse?
- Does somebody unintentionally emotionally rescue one of their students from doing something drastic? Do they help them stay steady and stay on the path to graduation? Pick them up from a drunken brawl?? Bring them on as a TA and help them get jobs??
- Ties or bow-ties or borderline “casual Friday” sloppiness???
- LAB COATS???????????
- Attending school functions!
- Separating for summer/winter break :( ??
- The inevitable co-worker betting pool!
- More gauzy, dream-like visions of Professor Dean, lecturing with his whole heart, answering questions, gently correcting, assigning fun stuff, assigning tough stuff, being flexible because the big game is this Sunday! WEARING A HALLOWEEN COSTUME TO WORK AND GETTING SO STOKED ON ALL THE CANDY EVERYBODY’S SHARING THAT HE ALMOST HAS TO BE ROLLED OUT OF THE CLASSROOM!!
- Professor Dean (◡‿◡✿)
- loves (◕‿◕✿)
- Doctor Novak (⊙‿⊙✿) !!
and finally, you must — you MUST TELL US:
- HOW DO THEY ULTIMATELY GET TOGETHER????
Mmm yea I want to but cultural differences are a thing and colleges in different countries are totally different and I don’t know if I’m dedicated enough to do the research that I’ll inevitably need to do to pull off a believable and realistic college au
But to answer a few of your questions-
- Cas is more focused than Dean, more strict if you will. He encourages discussion in his classes but it’s not as lively as Dean’s. He is a very patient teacher, but he tends to get lost in his own world when he teaches and hates any interruptions when he is speaking (unlike Dean whose teaching style is more about interacting with the students, making them talk about what they know instead of Dean saying the things)
- I was going with civilian!Cas but tbh I really like soldier!Cas so you gave me some really good ideas (even though I have no idea how I would fit a military career into his life as I plotted it). Maybe he grew up in a military family? Or like a super conservative Christian one? Either way it was a strict upbringing and he’s kinda prim and proper but not neat and tidy. He has a forgetful!professor thing going on, where gets lost in his own research and can go days without food or human company. (He almost misses his classes too, but he has a kickass TA who he completely adores, I’m thinking Charlie…)
- I’m thinking Cas mostly teaches a higher level classes (MSc special classes? Idk the exact American equivalent of that) and a few obligatory entry level classes and is a research guide for doctoral candidates. I’m thinking his field is something related to particle physics? Or say something related to quantum physics? IDK, I have to do a bit of research into this
- Dean teaches electronics. (Or maybe he’s technically an engineer and he teaches engineering students? Maybe electronics engineering? (Do you even have colleges where they teach both BSc and BTech in the US? Or is there no difference b/w BSc and BTech over there?)) Maybe the departments of Physics and Electronics sort of overlap (?) because a lot of classes are common to both streams? Is that a thing that happens in american universities? (ugh this is why I hate world building, you never know what happens in different places)
- So anyway, maybe the majority of the students of Dean and Cas have some classes in common? Maybe their classes are always opposite to each other and they sort of bond over the increasing UST b/w their favourite teachers while waiting outside before their classes start?
- I’m sure Physics and Electronics student have lotsa classes in common and while Cas normally detests teaching his entry level classes (he has to water everything down for the simpletons to understand and it’s kind of annoying to see their blank faces because they obviously haven’t done the required reading/ are not really interested in what he’s saying), he doesn’t mind it when Dean is with him
- Cas’s office is books books books and is kind of a mess. There are some family photos but mostly it’s just heaps of books. Dean’s is kinda homey and warm and comfortable and neat (maybe Dean is a bit OCD about his space?) There’s pictures of Sam, and Mary and John (who’s dead btw) and I don’t how I’ll fit Lisa in his life but I kind of think she would be Dean’s ex but they parted amicably and Dean loves Ben but they live on the opposite sides of the country so doesn’t meet them very often.
- Mary is alive, John died when Dean was a teen and it has been hard growing up and Dean amost gave up on college but Mary refused to let him drop out. Dean worked hard to put himself through college but with help from Ellen/Bobby and some scholarships, it all worked out. Cas’ family could easily afford college but Cas got a full ride to basically everywhere and had a much easier life compared to Dean. Cas is not very close to most of his family (exceptions are Gabriel and Anna). Bathazar is Cas’s friend from college and he’s also part of the faculty (maybe he helps the students in their shenanigans?)
- The students get them together (the other professors help too…)
- They both love teaching. Dean is new to scene whereas Cas has been teaching since he was doctoral candidate. Dean is kinda getting used to things but Cas is comfortable in his routine. They are both a bit lonely (Cas bc that’s what he’s like, Dean bc he just moved away from his family and he doesn’t know anyone in the new city)
- I don’t want angst in this fic so no they are not against falling in love but they are far too busy to be actively finding someone
- “Does somebody unintentionally emotionally rescue one of their students from doing something drastic? Do they help them stay steady and stay on the path to graduation? Pick them up from a drunken brawl?? Bring them on as a TA and help them get jobs??” Yep, that’s p much what I have in mind for Dean. Cas is more aloof, he’s a bit more open with doctoral students but people find him a bit unapproachable (he has no social skills) even though he’s a teddy bear and always helps his students out when they are in a fix
- Casual clothes for Dean, sweater, pressed shirts and slacks for Cas (with guest appearance of the flasher trenchcoat)
- Yes to the school functions, no to the lab coats (Cas is in theoretical physics, Dean teaches electronics, no lab coats necessary)
- There’s a betting pool, Balthazar started it and almost every teacher has a bet going on
- *flails* yes yes yes, all of that
Also, I would tell you how they got together but then I would have to kill you
ANSWERS FROM ON HIGH
MAKING PPL THIRSTY FOR THIS AU
U R A TREASURE
honeymoon is an interesting term because an actual moon made of honey would imply space bees which is pretty horrifying
It actually means “honey month”, because originally (or, you know, at the point when the term gained currency) it was meant to last for a month. And presumably be sweet. But space bees are a good possibility!
Olivia, my eldest daughter, caught measles when she was seven years old. As the illness took its usual course I can remember reading to her often in bed and not feeling particularly alarmed about it. Then one morning, when she was well on the road to recovery, I was sitting on her bed showing her how to fashion little animals out of coloured pipe-cleaners, and when it came to her turn to make one herself, I noticed that her fingers and her mind were not working together and she couldn’t do anything.
“Are you feeling all right?” I asked her.
“I feel all sleepy, ” she said.
In an hour, she was unconscious. In twelve hours she was dead.
The measles had turned into a terrible thing called measles encephalitis and there was nothing the doctors could do to save her.
That was twenty-four years ago in 1962, but even now, if a child with measles happens to develop the same deadly reaction from measles as Olivia did, there would still be nothing the doctors could do to help her.
On the other hand, there is today something that parents can do to make sure that this sort of tragedy does not happen to a child of theirs. They can insist that their child is immunised against measles. I was unable to do that for Olivia in 1962 because in those days a reliable measles vaccine had not been discovered. Today a good and safe vaccine is available to every family and all you have to do is to ask your doctor to administer it.
It is not yet generally accepted that measles can be a dangerous illness.
Believe me, it is. In my opinion parents who now refuse to have their children immunised are putting the lives of those children at risk.
In America, where measles immunisation is compulsory, measles like smallpox, has been virtually wiped out.
Here in Britain, because so many parents refuse, either out of obstinacy or ignorance or fear, to allow their children to be immunised, we still have a hundred thousand cases of measles every year.
Out of those, more than 10,000 will suffer side effects of one kind or another.
At least 10,000 will develop ear or chest infections.
About 20 will die.
LET THAT SINK IN.
Every year around 20 children will die in Britain from measles.
So what about the risks that your children will run from being immunised?
They are almost non-existent. Listen to this. In a district of around 300,000 people, there will be only one child every 250 years who will develop serious side effects from measles immunisation! That is about a million to one chance. I should think there would be more chance of your child choking to death on a chocolate bar than of becoming seriously ill from a measles immunisation.
So what on earth are you worrying about?
It really is almost a crime to allow your child to go unimmunised.”
Roald Dahl, 1986
NINETEEN EIGHTY SIX.
roald dahl was calling out the anti-vaccination movement as self indulgent bullshit //thirty god damn years ago//.
And this is only in recent history. I can’t imagine the numbers if we had data all the way back to 1986.
And thanks to anti-vaxxers, measles is back in the United States.
Please, please get your children and yourselves vaccinated.
the fact that there have no leaked nudes in my dashboard proves that i’m following the right people
Anonymous said: Why are you so angry about JLaw's nudes being leaked? I thought you didn't like her.
- i am angry because this is just another example of women being shamed for taking nudes instead of the douchebag who spreads them being shamed for violating someone’s privacy like that
- i am angry because nobody deserves this, regardless of how i feel about their personality
- i am angry because this is pure misogyny and shows how women aren’t respected in our culture
- i am angry because she did not consent to having those pics posted everywhere but they still were
- i am angry because on the VERY RARE occasion this happens to a male celeb he is not shamed but rather the perpetrator is and it’s forgotten quickly whereas this will haunt jennifer for years and years to come
- i am angry because this was a sex crime and people are treating it like a joke
- i am angry because she is being exploited/objectified and some gross dudebros are probably jacking off to those pics
- i am angry because people are CONGRATULATING the fucker who did such an atrocious thing to her instead of being appalled
listen i may not like her personally but the fact remains that as a human being she is entitled to body autonomy and to choose who sees her naked body and who doesn’t